Point of correction I think. If each sheet is attached with its own shackle, no
size reduction. The force is same because only one sheet pulls at a time.

________________________________
From: Novabraid via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Sent: Thursday, June 16, 2022 2:17:50 PM
To: 'Stus-List' <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Cc: csgilchr...@comcast.net <csgilchr...@comcast.net>
Subject: Stus-List Re: Genoa sheets catch on shrouds

Dave,

I think the size of the soft shackle (if you’re just using one) may be part of
the issue.  Soft shackles are made from high modulus fibers, usually either
Dyneema or Spectra (both UHMWPE) or some generic version of the same material.
All of which are far stronger than your sheets thus allowing you to downsize
your soft shackle to something smaller than the sheet itself.  Conventional
wisdom with regards to virtually anybody buying sheets or sheet attachments is
they want them large enough to handle easily and similarly, the soft shackles
are a bit easier to handle with gloves if they’re sized appropriately large.
But they don’t need to be.  If you’re using a 7/16 genoa sheet, the largest
that soft shackle needs to be regarding strength is either 3/16” or ¼”
diameter.  That alone should make it easier for the shackle to pass by the
shrouds.  On my boat, the issue becomes the sheet hanging up on the turnbuckles
of the shrouds.  I’ve solved that issue by putting turnbuckle boots made of a
chafe material over the offending hardware and have no problems whatsoever.

Back to the soft shackles, you mentioned you use a single soft shackle to hold
both sheets.  I’ve been a fan of using 2 smaller soft shackles which serves two
purposes.  If I have a sheet issue (like a winch override, an unfortunate wrap
around something or the need to change a jib), its easier to do so with
individual shackles so you can simply change tacks and release each sheet
independently.  That also allows for slightly smaller shackles as well.

Just my 2 cents..

Chuck Gilchrest

1983 Landfall 35