I am a big fan of rare earth magnets as well.  I use them to tack my flexible
solar panel to the companionway slider.  I have one set for hatch open and one
set for hatch closed glued to the plexiglass and the back of the panel.  Much
nicer than velcro, although I have had some corrosion problems over time.  Dave

S/V Aries
1990 C&C 34+
New London, CT