I can only think of two reasons for using a babystay - One is to help
introduce mast bend in heavy air to flatten the main. Second is if your
mast "pumps" in heavy seas. It helped on my previous boat, an Ericson 30. I
have a babystay on my boat, and I rarely use it. It came on the boat with a
track on the foredeck, and a rope clutch to the port side of the mast. The
adjustment leads through the rope clutch to a spinnaker halyard winch. If
the conditions I mentioned aren't exhibited on your boat, forget the
babystay.

Alan Bergen
35 Mk III Thirsty
Rose City YC