Hi Andrew,

I went the same route few years ago on my 1987 33-2 (Offshore spar mast on this
vintage). First, you have a pole and a sym spin so you already have the « big $
items ». In my opinion you are on the good path.

When we bought our boat we had no free flying sails. A good friend had an asym
on a furler and a Selden bow sprit. He loved it and convinced me to do the same
and we did. I do like this setup, but you cannot go really deep downwind and It
became frustrating for us especially in light air, cruising or racing.

One season I raced on a C&C 99 with a symmetrical spin setup, gained confidence
and loved it. So I bought one and then also got a very expensive Forte carbon
pole because it was impossible to find a used pole so I went a bit crazy. It is
very light and easy to handle (the 99 had one so I knew it was vasy to end for
end this size of kite/pole)

Our boat has a topping lift, a baby stay with a track on deck and a pin car on
the mast. I modified the baby stay track to fit a downhaul, not the best angle
but It works. We always gybe end for end, don’t use guys, only barber haulers
on sheets and i release the baby stay but keep it attached when gibing. To do
it I have to release the pole, move it in front of the baby stay and reattach,
call made and we trim! The pole is behind the baby stay, no problem to bring
the pole back, only risk is if not released and you bring the pole forward the
stay might be in contact and damage will occur.

We use a sock and sail most of the time with only 2 onboard. I have one set of
primaries, but often use the cabin top 18 Barient for spin sheets. I also use
the primaries depending of situations. Yes I could use more winches, pad eyes,
snatch blocks, guys, but we found a way to make it work and it does. The barber
haulers are very useful to stabilize the sail when gybing and the carbon pole
makes a big difference for the person doing foredeck.

I understand the other comments about the babystay, but if you take your time
it can be done. It depends if you want to be as fast as possible racing or take
a few more seconds to do it safely, do you want to use your spin in light wind
only or keep it as long as you can when the wind go up? In what kind of sea
state do you sail your boat, etc…

Next season I plan to try adding a bungee to bring the baby stay close to the
mast base when release, but I fear it might be even more on the way. We will
see.
Otherwise I often use the babystay in sync with the backstay to de power the
main boat or to prevent pumping. It is necessarily in the conditions we sail
here and I would not want to remove it.

I learned a lot since I got my symmetrical and I am sure you will love it.
Definitely a must for club racing.

Let me know if you want pictures or talk about our setup.

Bruno Lachance

Le 16 janv. 2023 à 14:11, andrew--- via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com> a