Comments embedded

On Mon, Jan 16, 2023 at 1:11 PM andrew--- via CnC-List <
cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:

> Good day,
>
> I finally found a pole for my recently acquired symmetrical spinnakers,
> and time to get the boat setup for spinnaker, and was hoping for some input
> from the group.
>
> The boat has never been setup for spinnaker.
>
>    1.
>
>    Baby stay - it is currently fixed and not adjustable and I believe the
>    purpose is to introduce a bit of mid mast bend to flatten the sail, and
>    also to prevent excessive mast flex when pounding up wind. I would think
>    that this needs to be disengaged to make gybing possible. Any suggestions
>    other than mounting a track on the cabin top?
>    2.
>
>    Gybing - if I could temporary disengage baby stay I could dip gybe.
>    End to end gybing may be possible if baby stays engaged. Does anybody have
>    any experience with gybing asymmetrical on 33-2?
>
> We end for end on my 35.  But we don't have a baby stay.  If your baby
stay became detachable, you could end for end.  In my area, end for end is
prefered up to 35 feet.  We think it's faster.

>    1.
>
>    Downhaul - I could mount hardware on deck for downhaul (I would assume
>    deck would be strong enough with just a backing plate? Or another option
>    would be to run sheet and guy, and use the guy, with a forward lead, as a
>    downhaul. Not sure if the angle would be sufficient, probably OK though.

Touche's pole downhaul attaches to the boat with spring hooks.  No deck
penetrations except in the middle of the foredeck.  Attaches to the
stanchion bases.  Can attach or remove in 5 minutes.  It's a double foreguy
rig.  Trims from either side in the cockpit.  Open the link below and
scroll down to the 4-5 pics labelled "foreguy x.jpg".

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B_sb5TfIENvsNll4b3ZwM1B4a28?resourcekey=0-3peSuFJ-nDmRY4vWPFSoFA&usp=share_link

>    1.
>
>    2.
>
>    Topping lift - there is an entrance maybe 2/3 up the mast. I would
>    assume this has a sheave (I will go up the mast within the month, but
>    wondering if anybody knows if there would be a sheave. I would think there
>    would be but wanted to check.
>
> About where Touche's topping lift is.  Mine does not have a sheave.  It's
just a donut fitting.

>    1.
>
>    Mast track - seems like lot’s of work was just thinking of a single
>    attachment point head high(ish).
>
> Search eBay or salvage sites for a T-track.  Start with a pin stop car.
If you want to upgrade, get a ball bearing car.

--
Dennis C.
Touche' 35-1 #83