Hi Dave,

Yes, I have spent far too much time thinking about and looking at boats,
and it gets exhausting. I have looked at a few Whitbys, and while they are
comfortable, look ok, and have a nice layout, the full keel is a turn off
for me, and I find their fit and finish pretty mediocre inside. The later
Brewer 44 is a much nicer boat, but way too expensive. We have widened the
search to pretty much all of North America, as although BC has lots of
boats, few are for sale, and the prices are much higher.

Although travelling to buy a boat could be a real pain, if there is a
savings and the boat is right for us, we may have to do it. It will be made
easier if the boat is near cruise ready condition of course. The Landfall
43 we're looking at is currently cruising, but I am beginning to have my
doubts about the experience of the young couple, as some of their answers
indicate a lack of knowledge or concern for things like rig, chainplates,
and water leaks. They also tore out the stock fridge/freezer and installed
a Novacool front load fridge, which seems really awkward, and not a
suitable move for long range cruising. My guess is they bought the boat
cheap to go cruising with their young family, and didn't consider it a long
term purchase.

What kind of sailing do you plan for your Ovni? I've only seen one, but
they seem like really nice boats.

--
Shawn Wright
shawngwri...@gmail.com

On Sat, Mar 18, 2023 at 4:22 PM Dave S <syerd...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Interesting and you’ve obviously thought it through.   Great fun looking
> and pondering.  I do struggle with the ‘80s centre cockpit types, for
> reasons I mentioned,  despite feeling otherwise at one point.  (And really
> wanting to love and buy an amel super maramu before locking in on the
> OVNI).    There are whitby 42s around here among others that come up from
> time to time, they seem like real bargains for someone looking at that
> range/type.
> I was in Kingston once and a c&C 44 pulled in, single handed by a super
> nice older-than-me guy.  Boat totally equipped for offshore which the owner
> intimated might never happen.   no expense spared, which at first impressed
> me then I thought about why the various compromises may not work very well.
>    But…. With all that gear removed- breathtaking lines.    RIP Rob Ball.
> I was tempted by a landfall 48 at one point, was in the yard here (whitby
> ON) for a long time before it sold.  Deep draft, which around here can be
> an issue.   Seemed like a lot of boat for the money, though of course
> there’s no such thing as a cheap boat.
> Offshore boats are thin on the ground around here and even in Nova Scotia
> where I had a place and where my dad lives.   I actually spent time in
> Brittany boat shopping as a result.  Incredible.   As hockey is to canada,
> sailing is to France.
> Should be no shortage of boats in your neck of the woods though, Happy
> hunting.

Thanks for your help.
Stu