I had Touche' painted with Awlcraft 2000 because of the ease of repair.  It
was damaged in Hurricane Sally.  Both port and starboard.  I had the entire
boat repainted.

Got some scratches on the starboard side a couple years ago in Hurricane
Ida.  Had it repaired last year.  The painter only sprayed the damaged area
and a bit more.  The Awlcraft repaired well. The painter taped the area off
rather than feathering it out.  Matched well but I can see the tape line up
close.  From 20 feet you can't.  Color is red so some minor fading was
expected.

It was rumoured that Touche' had been painted with Imron prior to my
purchasing it.  Can't really comment because it was never verified.  I
sanded the topsides prior to the Awlcraft.

Discuss with your painter his process for priming prior to applying any
topcoat.

 --
Dennis C.
Touche' 35-1 #83

On Mon, Aug 21, 2023 at 11:52 PM Richard Bush via CnC-List <
cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:

> Hi all, we are in the midst of trying to repair  damages to our hull (1985
> C&C 37 CB) which stemmed from another boat parting its dock line in a storm
> and laying against our hull for 2+ hours, tearing the paint and gelcoat
> from the waterline to the rub rail. It's a long tale of woe, however, we
> are nearing the part of our project where painting the hull topsides is
> being discussed.  The boat was painted with Awlgrip about 10 years ago
> (prior to our ownership), and that finish has held up well. Also, because
> of the paint being 10 years old, it has been "strongly recommended" that
> the entire hull be repainted, rather than the damaged area only, with which
> we agree. I "assumed" that we would go back with the same Awlgrip product,
> however, the repair people have suggested that Imron would be a better
> product because scratches and dings can be repaired more easily.  They
> advised that the old Awlgrip would be sanded off and the a base coat and
> clear coating over the color coat.
> Does anyone on the list have any experience with Imron paints (marine, of
> course); or Imron vs Awlgrip:
>
> Another qualifier is that our area (Ohio River) is not a big boating
> community and there are few boating repair facilities here; (getting the
> boat to the repair facility is a whole other story all by itself!)
>
> One last point, is, color; our hull is the C&C factory white, don;t know
> the name, but its an off-white almost cream color; we are thinking of going
> back with flag blue or navy blue; any thoughts here are welcome as well.
>
> As always, thank you and let me know if you have any questions!
>
> Richard
> 1985 C&C 37 CB; Ohio River, Mile 584;
>
> Richard N. Bush Law Offices
> 2950 Breckenridge Lane, Suite Nine
> Louisville, Kentucky 40220
> (502) 584-7255
>

> Please show your appreciation for this list and the Photo Album site and
> help me pay the associated bills.  Make a contribution at:
> https://www.paypal.me/stumurray
> Thanks for your help.
> Stu
> Please show your appreciation for this list and the Photo Album site and
> help me pay the associated bills.  Make a contribution at:
> https://www.paypal.me/stumurray
> Thanks for your help.
> Stu
Thanks for your help.