I understand, and this why I encourage other birders not to let themselves be
pushed around for no particular good reason. I make it a point never to pass a
"private property" sign, to cross fences or enter anywhere that says "keep
out". However, I find that more and more I am being harrassed for being in
areas which appear have public access. "Golf Cart Boy" out at Latham once
called the sheriff on me (he did it while I was standing there, so I know he
actually did it; I overheard the conversation). I just stood there while he
yelled at me that I was ignoring him, to which I replied, "Yep". He left, but I
waited around for the authorities, who of course never appeared. They probably
got a good laugh out of his report of a miscreant birder.
Anyway, if law enforcement gives me a valid reason way I should vacate an area,
vacate I will. Yesterday's "officer" (who must have looking desperately for a
reason to justify her existence) just sputtered about "DIA" and "private
property" and really had no good reason why I should leave the area.
That's probably enough on this subject. Please obey all property signs and
follow the ABA Code of Ethics. But I submit that there is no reason why birders
should be bullied just because we have a reputation for being rather passive.

Norm Lewis
Lakewood, CO