Dan, as always right on point.  This is not a photographer issue or birder
issue but an evolution of social media.  There is a trend that everyone feels
that a specific location is required when reporting a bird.  You should NEVER
give specific locations in a neighborhood without speaking to the homeowner
first.  Not everyone is comfortable with 100 pairs of binoculars focused in
their backyard.  Would you??? The Pine Warbler in Denver is a perfect example.
I refound the bird the first day reported and had a great conversation with the
homeowner.  He stated he wanted the  location placed in Ft. Logan like the
finder did.  He did not feel comfortable with the idea of people staring at the
feeders in the frontyard.  But in the last few weeks people have been giving
out the specific location/home address.

If anyone was in Broomfield for the Sedge Wren, you understand.  A friend sent
me a disturbing video of ten birders in a circle surrounding the bird, and then
counting to ten and taking a step inward everytime, closing the circle, and
attempting to get this poor bird to flush.  The individual who sent me the
video never got the bird and no longer goes to these situations.  Once you
report an exact location, you can expect sometimes hundreds of people decending
on the location,  many to see or photograph a beautiful bird, get a lifer, or
for social needs. I have many owl locations that I would never give specific
locations on.  Like Dan stated, it is a personal decision that needs to be
thought out.  Once you give the specific location, it's unfair to point fingers
at birders or photographers.  I know many people that don't report specific
locations for different reasons including protecting a patch, the bird, or
neighborhood.  There's nothing wrong with using a hotspot and have people
"bird" and maybe find something else.

Mark Chavez
Lakewood-Green Mtn
http://jaeger29.smugmug.com/