It’s been forever since I’ve seen such a passionate conversation about a birding topic so I’ll throw my two cents in.

1.  Call the birds whatever you want, my priority in life is to enjoy them and advocate for their continued existence.  The name in my humble opinion the name has only been a marker of distinction not of importance.

2. If people are truly not interested in helping with conservation/protection over the name of a bird then they are already not focused on helping birds anyway.  Changing the name isn’t going to make a difference in driving their ultimate support.

3.  Let’s stop stepping over hundred dollar bills to pick up pennies - there are a multitude of issues with more significance and impact that we can devote our energy to if it is the welfare or birds that we are truly interested in.    Let’s make the changes and move on to bigger and better things!

In other words at the end of the day just go out and keep enjoying birds while they are still here - the names do not matter.

Regards,

Mark Minner-Lee
Erie, CO

Sent from my iPhone