I agree that time will likely reveal this historical rewrite to be a short
lived (from a historical perspective) phenomenon.
The practice of excising notable individuals from the historic record goes
way back to ancient Egypt where Hatshepsut
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatshepsut#Legacy> and Akhenaten
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akhenaten#Legacy>(King Tut's father) were
but two notable examples from antiquity.
More recent examples can be found in the French and Russian revolutions.
The historical record is usually recovered in part and the historical
rewriting practice deprecated.
This latest bout of historical cancellation will likely go through the same
convulsions as past practices of this type of behavior.