> On 29 Nov 2015, at 3:34 pm, Shane Stanley <sstan...@myriad-com.com.au> wrote:
>
>> Is this what the average user expects?
>
> I don't know -- I don't think many of us here really count as average users.

That's why I asked the question. If I, as a 20-year Mac power user find this
baffling, I can only imagine that an average user would find it no more
coherent.

> You might try clicking the "Close windows when quitting an app" checkbox, too.

Thanks; now turned on. This at least seems to provide the app an earlier
opportunity to allude to the damage it has performed -- although it does not
mitigate the actual insidious destruction which I want to believe, as Quincey
postulated, is only a bug rather than deliberate design).