On 18 Sep 2016, at 14:54, Uli Kusterer <witness.of.teacht...@gmx.net> wrote:

> On 18 Sep 2016, at 12:02, Gabriel Zachmann <z...@tu-clausthal.de> wrote:
>> When I "Run" my code in Xcode (i.e., hit CMD-R), I would like Xcode to build
>> the code, copy the product to its destination,
>> and then run a *different* application, not the product it has built.
>> (all on macOS, not iOS)
>
> Sure! Pick "Edit Scheme..." from the target selection popup in your Xcode
> window's toolbar. There, select the "Run" entry on the left. In the "Info"
> tab, you can set the executable to run to any executable in your project, or
> another arbitrary one.

This is IMO the best approach, but as an addendum you probably want to think
about whether the scheme should be shared or not.  By default, build schemes
are per user, so if you have multiple people working on your project you’ll
need each of them to set this up, and depending on how you’ve set your source
control up it might also not check in per-user things in the project file (I
know I tend to set things up so per-user stuff isn’t saved, to avoid bloating
commits with random Xcode state that nobody else cares about).  There’s a
“Shared” checkbox on “Edit Scheme…” sheet for that purpose.

IMHO this is quite a confusing area, because by default Xcode auto generates
schemes and they’ll look them same for everyone who opens a project, which
leads people to expect that changes they make will persist for everyone else.
That isn’t the case.

Kind regards,

Alastair.

--