On 7 Jul '08, at 12:42 PM, Gordon Apple wrote:

One source of confusion is the anchorPoint/Position relation. Reference says "The position is relative to anchorPoint". Huh? What anchorPoint? -- the layer in question, or its superLayer? And what does this mean for the
view's layer in terms of the view's coordinates?

When you set the position property of a layer, the point you specify becomes the location (in the superlayer's coords) of the layer's anchorPoint. The anchorPoint is specified in unit coordinates that range from 0 at one side to 1 at the other, so it's independent of scale.

So if the layer's anchorPoint is (0.5,0.5), as it is by default, then if you set its position to (100,100), the center point of the layer will be at (100,100). But if the anchorPoint were (0,0), then the top left point of the layer would be at (100,100) ... assuming non-flipped coords.

Another one is "frame". "Specifies receiver’s frame rectangle in the super-layer’s coordinate space". So ok, how does the view's layer frame
relate to the view's frame?

I am not sure; I don't work with layers directly embedded in views much. (I usually just have one big view and work with layers inside it.) My expectation would be that the layer's frame would be the same as the view's bounds.