On Jul 23, 2008, at 11:28 PM, Oleg Krupnov wrote:

Notifications is another point of confusion for me. I would assume
that notifications should be used when multiple observers can be
connected to an "event" exposed by an object, in contrast to a simple
"delegate" outlet, which can only have one connected object. Am I
correct?

They're really for two different things. Often a delegate interface supports a superset of what notifications will notify observers of; for example, see the descriptions of the delegates for NSWindow and NSApplication, and compare them with those classes' notifications.

What I am actually trying to do is to build a custom editor view that
would notify it's parent window when the state of the view changes,
e.g. due to user actions. I think delegate is the right choice,
correct?

Should it really tell its window about user input? Or should it tell a controller about that user input, and let the controller manage the rest of the reaction to that input?

The latter is often the design approach taken in Cocoa. A control or view will take care of turning the press of a key, the click of a mouse, or some other user action into a higher-level action that's sent to a controller. It's the controller that does something meaningful to the application with that action.

  -- Chris