On 16 Feb 2009, at 9:53 pm, Graham Cox wrote:

man zip ?

-# Regulate the speed of compression using the specified digit #, where -0 indicates no compression (store all files), -1 indicates the fastest com- pression method (less compression) and -9 indicates the slowest compression method (optimal compression, ignores the suffix list). The default com-
            pression level is -6.

I did look there first thing. I don't see that option or that text.

I tried it anyway - it slightly improves things, but nowhere near the extent that I get with Finder "Compress".

e.g.

original:       9.6M
zip script:     6.9M (with -9, with default I get 7.3M)
Finder compress 3.4M

--Graham