On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 6:14 AM, Graham Cox <graham....@bigpond.com> wrote:

> On 16 Feb 2009, at 10:05 pm, Jean-Daniel Dupas wrote:
>
>> I think by default zip compresses symlink target instead of the link
>> itself. If you have frameworks in your package, it's possible that zip
>> duplicates you frameworks' headers, executables, and resources.
>>
>> See the -y option:
>>
>> -y     Store symbolic links as such in the zip archive, instead of
>> compressing and storing the file referred to by the link (UNIX only).
>>

> Bingo!
>
> That does the trick... thanks very much :)

Note that if your goal is to replicate what the Finder does, you
should use the 'ditto' command instead. From the man page:

     The command:
           ditto -c -k --sequesterRsrc --keepParent src_directory archive.zip
     will create a PKZip archive similarly to the Finder's Compress function-
     ality.

This gives you a zip file with the same structure and semantics as
what Finder does, and also nice things like preserving resource forks
(as well as, presumably, the symlink thing).

Mike