So, it looks like one can call SMJobCopyDictionary with kSMDomainSystemLaunchd
and, in the case of the SMJobBless sample code, com.apple.bsd.SMJobBlessHelper
to determine whether or not the helper tool has been installed.

What I am still not sure about is how to check the version number of the tool
to see if I need to call SMJobBless again to update the helper tool.

I suppose I could encode the version in the label of the tool. So, in the case
of the SMJobBless code, one might have:

   com.apple.bsd.SMJobBlessHelper.3

or something, but I'm guessing there is a better solution then this.