On 6 Dec 2013, at 12:14 pm, Roland King <r...@rols.org> wrote:

> That's very ingenious. Not an OSX expert myself but it does bother me that
> you're not drawing into the context you are given but one you construct
> yourself from a piece of the window. That's not something I think iOS would
> even let you get at.
>
> For a start does that work layer backed?

Not tried it, but...

> Is there always a guaranteed correspondence between the context passed to
> drawrect and the window like that? Does OSX never choose to render to a
> bitmap and then blend to the window store later?

I don’t know, but my next step was to embed the view in a scroller. Doesn’t
work, so either the scroller is buffering its content somehow and there is a
discrepancy in the contexts, or else I’m not doing the right thing with the
CTM. (I suspect the former, more experiments to come).

> That might be another way, by the way, render to your own tiled small bitmaps
> on background threads then blit them into the real context.

Yep, that was also on my list to try, but for top performance it would make
sense not to do that if it can be avoided.

> Perhaps that code is fine on OSX, I'd certainly be happier if there was a
> create context from context call you could use to relate your small contexts
> to the draw rect one.

That was what I looked for at first as well, but there doesn’t appear to be
such a call, such as CGContextCreateCopy. Pity, hence the veering into hackery
territory. But there may be a cleaner way, I just haven’t discovered it yet.

—Graham