On Dec 6, 2013, at 6:05 PM, Roland King wrote:

> On 7 Dec, 2013, at 12:46 am, Graham Cox <graham....@bigpond.com> wrote:
>

>>                                      @synchronized( self )
>>                                      {
>>                                              CGContextDrawImage( ctx,
>> tileRect, tileImage );
>>                                      }
>>                                      CGImageRelease( tileImage );

> You could also, instead of synchronizing the CGContextDrawImage(), which may
> make your threads wait for each other for some infinitessimal time, use
>
> dispatch_async( dispatch_get_main_queue(), {
>       CGContextDrawImage( ctx, tileRect, tileImage );
>       CGImageRelease( tileImage );
>       free( bitsPtr );
> }
>
> which serializes them. And I doubt it would make a sod of difference.

It would make a difference in that it wouldn't work.  The draw operations will
not be performed before the CGContextRestoreGState() call nor before the
NSGraphicsContext that the CGContext was obtained from has had a chance to, for
example, release the CGContext.  Or, if not that, then change its state values.

Regards,
Ken