Sent from my iPhone

>>> AFAICT, Auto-Layout won’t let me do what I want to do.
>>>
>>> This is so simple. The NIB file is owned by the window controller. The
>>> window is a large window and initially has two frames in it. Later on, I
>>> get Notifications telling me a new position and size for the two Views.
>>
>> The very minimal thing you could do in auto layout for this is as simple as
>> specifying constraints for leading, trailing, width, and height – and you
>> will get exactly what you want by setting the constraints as requested by
>> your notification. This minimal change would do exactly what the frame
>> setting you are trying to do would do.
>
> Yes but that’s seems like an awful lot of mucking around when all I want to
> do is position a view in a window! Surely the quickest most straight forward
> way of doing this is just to turn all Auto-Layout and set he Frame of the
> view manually - what could be simpler than that? I just want to know if this
> should work with Auto-Layout off and it’s just that layout isn’t getting
> called. If so when I’ll just scan the View Hierarchy and set the frames
> manually without using the “layout” method.
>
> I looked at setting constrains and XCode won't let me add any
> Leading/Trailing constraints to the view anyway, so even if I were to try to
> do it that way it doesn't seem like it’s possible from a NIB?
>
> Cheers
> Dave

The right thing to do is to sit down and learn auto layout. You'll be glad you
did. It's not going away and it's not that hard once you get over the hump.
The best coverage are the short books by Erica Sadun. 1st edition is really Mac
OS despite the title. 2nd edition is really iOS focused.
The API is almost identical between the two platforms.
It may take a few days to get grounded and a little longer to get confident.
It's just doing indirect frames on one level but much more rewarding than that.