>After just a few hours of poking around I have decided that it will be
>much simpler for me to simply hand-code a whole hat-full of servlets
>than to try and pull any meaning out of Cocoon and it's documentation.
>Fifteen hours on the Interstate wasn't as challenging as trying to
>figure out how one should check a Web Form this month but I didn't have
>that feeling of travelling backwards half of the time. I was also able
>to predict and achieve forward progress (for a change).

I hope you had a nice trip.  Web Form stuff is a bit beta at the moment,
so you'll need to
excercise patience and a willingness to help.

>Thanks guys, but no thanks.
>

>Maybe I'm getting old, but I really don't understand the need for all
>of the complexity and the lack of documentation in this product.

Perhaps its not a product at all, maybe its a software development
community and a project all
wrapped up into one.

>On the other hand, I used to feel the same way about the mind-numbing
>complexity of a certain thirty-year-old mainframe operating system
>(MVS) produced by IBM back in the sixties and it's patching system
>(SMP4). So it can't just be my age.
>
>Anyway, Cocoon has cost me far morte (a typo that's better than the

You seem lively to me.

>original word) time than it was worth. The chief problems appear to
>have been endlessly re-invented terminology for an overwhelming number
>of 'new concepts' and a complete lack of consistency between different
>components (i.e. functional code, non-functional examples, unbuildable
>documentation and a website that doesn't match up with any single
>released version of the project).

So did you fix them?  Did you raise these points and offer to help?

>I have a lot of respect for the ability of the people who have built
>this project, but I want them to know that their project appears to be
>out-of-control and could become very difficult to manage. If
>experienced developers (like myself) can't figure out how to use enough
>features in the product to make it worth using, then penetration will
>be limited and all of your efforts will be wasted. There is more to
>this business than stuffing in features at the expense of documentation
>and testing. You have a lot of very good ideas, but the execution of
>the project as a whole seems to be suffering.

I'm significantly less experienced and I figured a large amount of it out.

You: "Oh I can't figure it out I'm leaving"

Me: "How do I....?"   "What is a....?"  And I'm working on creating an
example webapp
(http://www.superlinksoftware.com/cocoon/samples/bringmethis/index.html)
that utilizes
forms, etc.  I'll accompany it (NOT RIGHT AWAY) with explanations and
documentation
(written in plain English).

>I know that I will often look at my JSP and servlet code and think 'XSP
>and Cocoon were sooo much better!' until I remember that I wasn't ever
>able to use enough of Cocoon to make a profit.

I run Cocoon in fairly low amount of memory.  Certainly more than JSP
and a Servlet, but then again
when I load the Connection pooling, caching, and other services a
serious JSP application would require,
I'm not so sure it comes that far ahead

While I agree with many of your criticisms, especially the Avalonian
(language of the Avalon->
Cocoon developers) and lack of meaningful documentation, I adamntly
believe that the problem here
lies within you.

This is participatory software.  You didn't pay for it.  You don't get
to call up Microsoft support and
scream at them and wonder why they come back at you 2 weeks later with
the wrong answer and
"wait for service pack 2 for a fix".  You fix it.  If you're lucky, you
fix it in collaboration with others!

Next, as I get older I get more patient.  I'd hate to see how impatient
you were at my age or Wow.
There are MULTIPLE books coming out on Cocoon, some by its very
developers others by great
folks like Conrad D'Cruz.  In the next few months, such things will be
clearer.

Personally, I think if you have this attitude "If I can't figure it out
it must suck and I'll take my cookies and
go home" then I think you're contributing to this software development
community in the best possible
way you ever could.....leaving it before you break something.  If you're
perhaps new to opensource
community-based development, maybe you should ask for help and take some
more time to read up on the
subject.  You'll find if you expend the effort, folks can be downright
friendly and helpful.  Of course
its up to you.  And psychological theory indicates you'll read this and
disregard it.  So I'm more writing it
for the next person that comes along.  Hope this helps!

-Andy