Looking at how everything uses the avalon framework it appears that the
initialize, configure and setup methods are called on every component of a
pipeline before any processing occurs.  Whether that includes components of
subpipelines I don't know, but in the case of Olivier Billard and his
sitemap snippets the problem he was running into was the xsl sheet wasn't
available when the components tried to initialize, configure and setup.

<map:match pattern="picto-filter.xsl">
        <map:generate src="context://WEB-INF/workflow.xconf"/>
        <map:transform src="stylesheets/picto-filter-generator.xsl"/>
        <map:serialize type="xml"/>
</map:match>

<map:match pattern="requestlist-part">
        <map:transform src="cocoon:/picto-filter.xsl"/>
        <map:serialize type="xml"/>
</map:match>

Now, I think for him your solution would work.  The reason Olivier's stuff
doesn't work is that the xml from the pipeline for picto-filter.xsl isn't
available when the <map:transform src="cocoon:/picto-filter.xsl"/>
initializes.