I need some advice regarding writing in Python 2 versus Python 3.

I have been trying to write more of my software in Python because everybody
around me is speaking French (Ruby), Italian (R), or Spanish (Javascript) when
I’m speaking in Latin (Perl). My latest example is a set of command-line tools
(Bash as well as Python) designed to do scalable reading against HathiTrust
content. [1] I originally wrote the tools in Python 2. Since then I learned
more about the HathiTrust Research Center “capsules” (on-demand virtual
machines), and there Python 3 is the default environment. So, I tweaked my code
and it works out-of-the-box and as expected.

On the other hand, my kewl tools no longer work in my local environment because
I use Python 2, and I don’t feel like installing YAVoP (Yet Another Version of
Python) on my server(s).

What’d do you suggest? Do you suggest writing in: 1) Python 2 or 2) Python 3 or
3) a combination of both?

[1] HathiTrust Research Center Workset Browser -
https://github.com/ndlib/text-analysis-htrc
[2] HathiTrust Research Center “capsules” -
https://analytics.hathitrust.org/staticcapsules

—
Eric Morgan