On Mar 7, 2018, at 3:35 PM, Bryan Brown <bjbr...@fsu.edu> wrote:

>> On the other hand, my kewl tools no longer work in my local environment
>> because I use Python 2, and I don’t feel like installing YAVoP (Yet Another
>> Version of Python) on my server(s).
>>
>> What’d do you suggest? Do you suggest writing in: 1) Python 2 or 2) Python 3
>> or 3) a combination of both?
>
> https://www.anaconda.com/download/

Okay. Based on the feedback provided here, as well as input from other places,
here is my solution:

  0. Commit to Python 3
  1. Choose a distribution, and for better or for worse, I choose Anaconda
  2. Install distribution
  3. Make sure distribution is in my PATH
  4. Prefix scripts with  #!/usr/bin/env python
  5. Write software using Python 3

This way I can install libraries, modules, etc. using conda and not mess up my
operating system’s version of Python.

Thank you, and now my kewl HathiTrust distribution works locally to boot.

—
Eric M.