Tag URIs require that the authorizing "agency" own the domain name and they
cannot specify a date that is before their domain registration or in the
future.  So nobody could mint Tag URIs with purl.org as the domain name.

PURLs might be an interesting solution for you if GAO has a system where
you can resolve SUDOC identifiers.  Then you could create a PURL and point
it to their system.  Now you get to use your PURL for your project and as
a side benefit get lookup capabilities from GAO!  Otherwise you could just
send them to a relevant page on GAO site.

Andy.