So, in a what is probably a vain attempt to put this debate to rest, I
created a partial redirect PURL for sudoc:

http://purl.org/NET/sudoc/

If you pass it any urlencoded sudoc string, you'll be redirected to
the GPO's Aleph catalog that searches the sudoc field for that string.

http://purl.org/NET/sudoc/E%202.11/3:EL%202

should take you to:
http://catalog.gpo.gov/F/?func=find-c&ccl_term=GVD%3DE%202.11/3:EL%202

There, Jonathan, you have a dereferenceable URI structure that you
A) don't have to worry about pointing at something misleading
B) don't have to maintain (although I'll be happy to add whoever as a
maintainer to this PURL)

If the GPO ever has a better alternative, we just point the PURL at it
in the future.

-Ross.