On Wed, 22 Jul 2009, Wayne Lam wrote:

Hi all,

 I am new in here and i am currently worked in the library too.
I am always confused that when i read the post in here, there are always
something i don't understand
and there are so much to learn.
 So, the question is, hows everybody learns to be a good coder for
libraries, what s the secret and what
kind of technology are most important to learn?

You learn to be a good coder in a library the same way as any other environment -- pay attention to the needs of the users and the demands made by management. And all the while, keep up with advancements in the field so that you can apply the best solution to a problem.

How you balance those first two things probably depends how receptive the management is to ideas that they didn't come up with. (and you can still pull the 'didn't you say something a while back about ...' trick so they can still claim credit and you can get the better solution done.)

For the keeping up with advancements, I spend a fair bit of time scanning headlines on various news websites, blogs and mailing lists (which was a bad procrastination habit even before I started working for Fark), reading books, the occassional side project to test out a new language, etc.

... and it's impossible to recommend any specifics without an idea of what your overall role and background are. (are you a librarian who's been pushed into the 'systems librarian' role, or a computer science person who's new to libraries? are you working on front ends, backends, systems administration? On windows, unix, linx? are you writing new software, or just customizing existing packages for your library?)

-Joe