For example, if you don't want to rely on dx.doi.org as your gateway to the
handle system for doi resolution, it would be quite easy for me to deploy my
own gateway at dx.hellman.net. I might want to do this if a were an
organization paranoid about security and didn't want to disclose to anybody
what doi's my organization was resolving. Or, I might want to directly access
metadata in the handle system that doesn't go through the http gateways, to
provide a service other than resolution.

Does this answer your question, Ross?

On Nov 20, 2009, at 2:31 PM, Ross Singer wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 2:23 PM, Eric Hellman <e...@hellman.net> wrote:
>> Having incorporated the handle client software into my own stuff rather
>> easily, I'm pretty sure that's not true.
>
> Fair enough.  The technology is binding independent.
>
> So you are using and sharing handles using some protocol other than HTTP?
>
> I'm more interested in the sharing part of that question.  What is the
> format of the handle identifier in this context?  What advantage does
> it bring over HTTP?
>
> -Ross.

Eric Hellman
President, Gluejar, Inc.