An interesting topic ... heading out to cast vote now.

In our environment, about 6 years ago we informally identified the gap (grey area, war, however it is described) between server / network managers and developers / Librarians as an obstacle to our end goals and have put considerable effort into closing it. The key efforts being communication (more planning, meetings, informal sessions), collaboration (no-one is working in a vacuum), and the willingness to expand/stretch job descriptions (programmers sometimes participate in hardware / OS work and sysadmins will attend interface / application planning meetings). Supportive management helps.

The end result is that sysadmins try as hard as possible to fully understand what an application is doing/requires on "their" hardware/networks, and programmers almost never run any applications that sysadmins don't know about.

So, SELinux has never been a problem because we know what a server needs to do before it ends up in a developer's hands and developers know not to pound their heads against the desk for a day before talking to sysadmins about something that doesn't work. Well, for the most part, anyway ;-)

-Graham

Ross Singer wrote:
On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 11:18 AM, Graham Stewart