> But all the flaws of XML can be traced back to SGML which is
> why we now use JSON despite all of its limitations.
excuse me, but JSON is something completely different. It is an object notation
and in not at all usable to structure data. XML is great to describe complex
data, but it is often badly used, like in MARC XML (ISO 2709 described in XML).
And it is musunderstood by a lot of programmmers that only thing in strings,
integers and the lot <str name="array1>water</str>

> In his vision of Xanadu every piece of published information had a
> unique ID that was reused everytimes the publication was referenced -
> which would solve our problem.
Keep on dreaming Jakob :-)