Tom Keays wrote:
a) the person may not have (or know they have) an affiliation to a given
institution,
Then how is WorldCat going to help, if they have no idea which institutions listed they might be able to get the book from!

b) may be coming from outside their institution's IP range so that even the
OCLC Registry redirect trick will fail to get them to a (let alone the
"correct") link resolver,
I think LibX-type plugins are the only practical solution, and while requiring a browser plugin is unfortunate (and only works in certain browsers), I can't think of a better one. You're right this is a problem. But with LibX, it can be as simple as "please install this plugin", and if the LibX-style plugin is sophisticated enough, everything will Just Work, they'll get a button everywhere they want it to connect them to their local institution.

c) there may not be any recourse to find an item if the institution does not
own it (MPOW does not provide a link to WorldCat).
Well, then that's something to take up with YPOW, if you think a WorldCat link is a valuable service to the user, but YPOW disagrees. That's not a technical problem, that's a policy problem. Ideally, I'd like to get Umlaut doing better than just a link to worldcat, I'd like to get it showing Worldcat holdings directly on the screen, including things like "closest public library", with those libraries being hyperlinked directly to the library's web page or even individual catalog record (theoretically sort of possible with WorldCat services). (Along with a link to worldcat for more info).

Now, you're right that this scheme still has some problems. But to me, the problem with the WorldCat page is it's just not a sufficient interface. It suffers from some of the same problems you mention -- they won't get an ILL link unless they are on-campus and your institution has configured it properly. It doesn't give easy access to local library services like placing an ILS "request" for circulation desk hold or physical delivery (if it gives this access at all, it's only by a chain of several non-obvious clicks). Etc.

You're right that if a user doesn't have an institution with a link resolver, then WorldCat might be the best they can do. It would be nice if WorldCat interface were somewhat better for this, but it's a tricky problem. Most public libraries don't have link resolvers -- I think they ought to (and it should be Umlaut!), but most public libraries haven't allocated limited resources to digital services like this. Even most academic libraries don't have very _good_ link resolver interfaces (again, Umlaut!).

It is an imperfect world we live in, indeed.
Jonathan

Tom