Oh you really do mean complete like "complete publication run"? Very few of our journal holdings are "complete" in that sense, they are definitely in the minority. We start getting something after issue 1, or stop getting it before the last issue. Or stop and then start again.

Is this really unusual?

If all you've figured out is the "complete publication run" of a journal, and are assuming your library holds it... wait, how is this something you need for any actual use case?

My use case is trying to figure out IF we have a particular volume/issue, and ideally, if so, what shelf is it located on. If I'm just going to deal with journals we have the complete publication history of, I don't have a problem anymore, because the answer will always be "yes", that's a very simple algorithm, "print yes", heh. So, yes, if you assume only holdings of complete publication histories, the problem does get very easy.

Incidentally, if anyone is looking for a schema and transmission format for actual _structured_ holdings information, that's flexible enough for idiosyncratic publication histories and holdings, but still structured enough to actually be machine-actionable... I still can't recommend Onix Serial Holdings highly enough! I don't think it gets much use, probably because most of our systems simply don't _have_ this structured information, most of our staff interfaces don't provide reasonably efficient interfaces for entering, etc. But if you can get the other pieces and just need a schema and representation format, Onix Serial Holdings is nice!

Jonathan