FWIW, I would not send HTML back to the client in an AJAX request - that
style of AJAX fell out of favor years ago.

Send back JSON instead and keep the view logic client-side. Consider using
a library such as knockout.js. Instead of your current (difficult to
maintain) mix of PhP and client-side JavaScript, you'll end up with a
static HTML page, a couple of clean JSON services (for checked-out per
subject, and one for the syndetics ids of the first 4 covers), and clean
HTML templates.

You had earlier asked the question whether to do things client or server
side - well in this example, the correct answer is to do it client-side.
(Yours is a read-only application, where none of the advantages of
server-side processing applies.)

 - Godmar