php has some nice and fast csv parsing abilities, use them as a source
for your database.
can then remove any regexp need
still simple for the users

snippet taken from one of my csv readers showing the prints in
comments so you can see the data in an array
this also keeps memory footprint down

$row = 1;
$fp = fopen ($fromdir.$file,"r");
while ($data = fgetcsv ($fp, 1000, ",")) {//readlines in csv
    $num = count ($data);
//    print "<p> $num fields in line $row: <br>";
    $row++;
//    for ($c=0; $c<$num; $c++) {
//        print "'".$data[$c] . "' ";
//    }