If you're talking about testing, rather than debugging, I don't think
emulators can
possibly substitute for actual hardware.   Ordinary debugging works pretty
well
from the simulator built into eclipse (or netbeans).

OTOH if you're doing "desperation level" debugging of mysterious crashes,
it works
to compile from the codename1 sources and use the emulator built into xcode
or a usb connection to a real device.