Try it and you'll see. rrdcached write to disk on demand and at the
latest when the time specified is out.

I/O may be decreased by 10 or more depending on the "interval" on
collectd side and the '-w' option on rrdcached side.

There is no migration to plan. Just start properly rrdcached and
configure collectd, ex :

/usr/bin/rrdcached -w 1800 -z 1800 -t 8 -p /var/run/rrdcached.pid -l
unix:/var/run/rrdcached/rrdcached.sock -j /var/lib/rrdcached/journal

And make sure the user used to run rrdcached is able to write rrd.

One more thing : rrdtool graph command need to know the rrdcached socket
to flush data before graph them, ex:

rrdtool graph --daemon=/var/run/rrdcached/rrdcached.sock -t ....

Cyril