On 14 April 2014 17:46, Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org> wrote:

> How well is trunk tested? Does anyone deploy it with real applications
> running on top? When will the trunk codebase next be the basis for a
> production release? An impromptu diff of hadoop-common trunk against
> branch-2 as of today is 38,625 lines. Can they be said to be the same
> animal? I ask because any disincentive toward putting code in trunk is
> beside the point, if the only target worth pursuing today is branch-2
> unless one doesn't care if the code is released for production use.
> Questions on whither JDK6 or JDK7+ (or JRE6 versus JRE7+) only matter for
> the vast majority of Hadoopers if talking about branch-2.

I think its partly a timescale issue; its also because the 1-2 transition
was so significant, especially at the YARN layer, that it's still taking
time to trickle through.

If you do want code to ship this year, branch-2 is where you are going to
try and get it in -and like you say, that's where things get tried in the
field. At the same time, the constraints of stability are holding us back
-already-.

I don't see why we should have such another major 1-2 transition in future;
the rate that Arun is pushing out 2.x releases its almost back to the 0.1x
timescale -though at that point most people were fending for themselves and
expectations of stability were less. We do want smaller version increments
in future, which branch-2 is -mostly- delivering.

While Java 7 doesn't have some must-have features, Java 8 is a significant
improvement in the language, and we should be looking ahead to that, maybe
even doing some leading-edge work on the side, so the same discussion
doesn't come up in two years time when java 7 goes EOL.

-steve

(personal opinions only, etc, )

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE