In light of the additional conversation on HDFS-8791, I would like to
re-propose the following:

1. Revert the new datanode layout (HDFS-8791) from the 2.7 branch. The
layout change currently does not support downgrades which breaks our
upgrade/downgrade policies for dot releases.

2. Cut a 2.8 release off of the 2.7.3 release with the addition of
HDFS-8791. This would give customers a stable release that they could
deploy with the new layout. As discussed on the jira, this is still in line
with user expectation for minor releases as we have done layout changes in
a number of 2.x minor releases already. The current 2.8 would become 2.9
and continue its current release schedule.

What does everyone think? If unsupported downgrades between minor releases
is still not agreeable, then as stated by Vinod, we would need to either
add support for downgrades with dn layout changes or revert the layout
change from branch-2. If we are OK with the layout change in a minor
release, but think that the issue does not affect enough customers to
warrant a separate release, we could simply leave it in branch-2 and let it
be released with the current 2.8.