Part of why I asked this question is because it's hard to get consistent
log messages until they can be enforced via precommit. We already have the
issue of typo'd or forgotten JIRA numbers in commit messages, and that'd
happen for attribution messages as well.

There's also always significant dedupe necessary to grep correctly. Until
someone is a committer, they don't have an Apache ID. In the meanwhile you
can use their JIRA username, but that can be different from their eventual
Apache ID, and people also change their JIRA usernames and emails.

IMO, if you have a usecase that requires counting contributors, go to the
source of truth: JIRA. The releasedocmaker.py script from Yetus builds the
changelog and release notes from JIRA info, and is pretty straightforward.
You can modify that, or grep the generated markdown output. Or, if it's
gone out in a release, you can grep the changelog from the release tarball.