On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 9:29 AM, Lars Aronsson <[email protected]> wrote:
> This past weekend, at the SXSW conference, a new initiative
> was launched to "get video on Wikipedia",
> http://videoonwikipedia.org/
>
> That sounds like a great idea.
>
> (I wasn't there, but I was told.)
>
> But among the first videos to be uploaded since the
> announcement are two that show some construction
> equipment and both break my browser every time I try
> to watch them. How can this be possible with a fully
> updated Mozilla Firefox 3.5.8 on Ubuntu Linux?
>
> I suppose something went wrong in the OGG encoding,
> but still, browsers should not be fooled by this,
> and/or Wikimedia Commons needs to make sure videos
> are correctly encoded so they can be safely watched.
>
> I have asked that these two broken videos be removed,
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:6hpPowerTrowel.ogv
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:13hpBoren.ogv
>
> We discussed for a long time why OpenOffice documents
> can't be uploaded to Wikimedia Commons because the
> ZIP encoding wasn't safe and could explode in the
> face of the user. Well, maybe OGG isn't safe either?
>
> Should we just ban video all together?


You mean like you marked them as "speedy-delete" because your browser
doesn't like them?

They work fine for me, and probably for most other people, but so what?

_______________________________________________
Commons-l mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/commons-l

Reply via email to