On 17 March 2010 23:26, Lars Aronsson <[email protected]> wrote: > Gregory Maxwell wrote: >> Yes, but the browser isn't psychic. It doesn't know how long its going >> to take to download the file. Before it starts it doesn't know how > > This is not the browser development list, and > I'm not interested in developing or upgrading > my browser. I'm interested in video on Wikipedia > and making it work for large numbers of users, > using their existing browsers and versions. > > I can to upgrade my own browser, but I can't > upgrade the browser for large numbers of other > users. All I can do here and now is to note > that today's browsers aren't ready for this. > > Can we determine what today's browsers are > ready for? Will 2 megabit/second videos work? > If so, let's set that limit for the coming year, > and reevaluate the limit in early 2011. > Wikimedia Commons generates thumbnails > for still pictures, so it could generate reduced > bandwidth versions of videos.
That requires more processing power. Might be possible to automatically add a warning that a video is unlikely to work properly for most people. -- geni _______________________________________________ Commons-l mailing list [email protected] https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/commons-l
