On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 11:15 AM, Lars Aronsson <[email protected]> wrote:
> Magnus Manske wrote:
>> You mean like you marked them as "speedy-delete" because your browser
>> doesn't like them?
>
> I'm still convinced there is something strange
> with these two videos. I can watch all other
> videos on Commons. The only ones I ever had a
> problem with, were taken down, recoded and
> worked fine after that.
>
> So how do I tell what's wrong? I have a laptop
> that is less than half a year old, a clean
> Ubuntu Linux 9.10 install and the included
> Firefox 3.5.8 browser. This should work, but
> these two videos never play more than two seconds
> and after a while my CPU fan spins up, firefox
> runs 100%, and all I can do is a "kill -9",
> which kills any other work I had going in other
> browser windows and tabs.
>
> I downloaded the video. I can watch it fine in
> VLC. But when I try to play it with file://
> in my browser, it stops after two seconds and
> nothing more happens. This time I can use the
> BACK button; I don't have to kill the browser.
>
> VLC does give the error message:
> [0x99c9fb8] main input error: ES_OUT_RESET_PCR called
> I have no idea what that means. Maybe it doesn't
> mean anything at all.
>
> Having to kill my browser is sooo 2002. If the
> solution is to switch to Chrome or Windows 7,
> then we better postpone any video projects
> another 6 to 12 months. I thought the time
> was right, and was so excited about this new
> initiative, but perhaps I was just wrong.

Checking on Ubuntu 9.10, I can confirm that the video (tested only
one) has some issues in Firefox. It stops after 5 sec, but doesn't
kill the browser; it just doesn't proceed.

It stops in MediaPlayer after ca. 8 sec when played from the net, but
runs nicely when played from local disk. Same for VLC.

So, it's the network/streaming component, not the file.

Cheers,
Magnus

_______________________________________________
Commons-l mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/commons-l

Reply via email to