On Sat, 2003-06-07 at 10:40, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Fixed.  Someone beat me to it by a few minutes, and then I fixed up the
> formatting.  If you should see something like this again, the easy thing is
> to view the most recent good version, click to edit, and then just save.
>
> > this opens the question of "leaving the door open with no lock" really
> > works in the long run or if we must live with "wiki terrorists".
>
> The wiki theory is that it is so easy to repair vandalism that the immature
> cretins basically lose interest in their juvenile activities.  For more
> discourse on the subject, see:
> http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?SocialAcceptabilityOfWikiVandalism

Hi,

while I basically agree with you on the Wiki point of view, the question
(at least to me) remains, whether the Apache Wiki is an experiment in
communication or a tool for documentation.

Imagine someone trying to demonstrate the power of the community
supporting an Apache project in public by showing that there is a
community supported Wiki site with contains many answers.

Imagine that someone calling up the page while doing a presentation in
public...

Imagine a developer sending a potential user or developer to the Wiki
for "more information".

Imagine someone competing with an Community based Apache project,
knowing that there is an important/interesting talk or presentation
about it and changing the wiki contents before or during (!) the talk.
[1]

To most people, events like the defacing of the main page is an
annoyance. But if we want to promote the wiki as a resource of valuable
information to users, IMHO this could be damaging for the credibility of
the projects.

        Regards
                Henning

[1] Sounds paranoid? Well, judge for yourself: At least one large
Software Company has been reported to pay PR agencies to place positive
stories about their products / negative stories about competing products
as "user reports" in the public discussion groups on some well
recognized news sites here in Germany (Heise Ticker).

>       --- Noel

Dipl.-Inf. (Univ.) Henning P. Schmiedehausen       -- Geschaeftsfuehrer
INTERMETA - Gesellschaft fuer Mehrwertdienste mbH     [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Am Schwabachgrund 22  Fon.: 09131 / 50654-0   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
D-91054 Buckenhof     Fax.: 09131 / 50654-20