> > Fair enough. So basically if you have an innovative idea/concept don't
> > bother calling the ASF?
>
> What is innovative about i18n?  Come on David, put your fricken thinking
> cap on on stop acting like a baby.  All code changes have to be approved
> by the project responsible for the code.  Likewise for documentation.

Now where is my rattle???

> What purpose does the i18n project perform that is not already covered
> by the existing project mailing lists?  Is it going to develop new
> i18n technology or just discuss things related to all of our projects.
>
> If the former, then the project had better come up with a decent goal
> and an explanation of how it is going to create this new thing, after
> which we can talk about going through incubator on a concrete level.

Roy, I think that if people come forward and say "Hi, we think this is a
cool idea..." then we should listen to them. What I didn't know, and
therefore what i went to find out, was where they go next. I expected to
find some more positive ideas and some support for investigating the idea.
Rather than simply being negative you've done what you have developed a
habit of doing which is come back with suggestions that don't fit your
initial reaction - which in this case offer an approach that is basically
what I was enquiring about!

> If the latter, then it is a mailing list and not an ASF project.
> The ASF hosts many such mailing lists, including this one.

I don't think anyone is contradicting that and I'm certainly not.

However, when people come up with the germ of an idea there isn't an obvious
start point. If we're to take something positive from this then it should be
that we need to advertise where the start point is for new ideas and get the
incubator project to publish some more details on what it's all about and
what it's not meant to do.

It never ceases to amaze me how simple discussions get so blown out of
proportion...

david