Am 03.05.2007 um 13:32 schrieb Ian Stirling:

wim delvaux wrote:
FWIW,
most of these 'light' phones do seem so 'fragile'. It looks like any drop from pocket or table might smash them to bits. Less weight generally means more flimsy devices.

No. It is easy to make a fragile looking device that is robust and vice versa.

It is more the mixture of materials that determines the robustness and finishing which determines how robust it looks. And finally a smaller device has less inertia so it is more robust. Look at an ant. It can fall from 10m and survives...

I have had the NEO in my hands and although the numbers may make if sound like it is chunky it is not AND when held gives you the feeling that it is rather drop-safe. Personally I prefer 'robustness' over 'light weight'. (Hell, I still run around with my NOKIA 6130 which to any modern standard looks like a brick, but I lost track of how many times it dropped on the floor)

This is why I want some tests.
I want a few - say 3 or 4 - representative neo1973's, with the production case, though PCB style possibly isn't so important, dropped from progressively increasing heights (one test onto carpet, one onto concrete), on all six sides, all functionality verified until they break.
(say 10cm, 14cm, 20cm, 28, 40, ...)

Similar tests done with dropping a 10mm steel ball onto the display.

No, of course I don't plan on dropping it.
It would be rather nice to know 'it will probably die if I drop it 1m onto concrete'.

It is industry standard to do such drop tests for consumer devices. A mobile phone manufacturer I know much better than FIC, has made drop tests from 1.5m onto concrete and a device had to pass 10 such falls without noticable severe damage (only the battery compartment was allowed to open and the battery come out and of course some scratches). So, I would assume that FIC's quality assurance department already does such tests - and I hope they publish the results.