Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:

Am 03.05.2007 um 13:32 schrieb Ian Stirling:

wim delvaux wrote:
FWIW,
most of these 'light' phones do seem so 'fragile'. It looks like any drop from pocket or table might smash them to bits. Less weight generally means more flimsy devices.

No. It is easy to make a fragile looking device that is robust and vice versa.

It is more the mixture of materials that determines the robustness and finishing which determines how robust it looks. And finally a smaller device has less inertia so it is more robust. Look at an ant. It can fall from 10m and survives...

That's not solely robustness though, air resistance helps lots too.
I suppose it's not that long given current trends till phones can be dropped from any distance as they'll hit terminal velocity at a safe speed. I suppose some stuff - microSD cards, for example, already can be dropped from any height.