Am 02.06.2012 um 18:03 schrieb Nick Sheppard:

> On 31/05/12 16:36, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
> >
> > 4. Nomenclature OpenPhoneux/GTA04
> >
> > There may be some confusion what "GTA04" and "OpenPhoneux"
> > are and what makes them different.
> >
> > We define:
> > * GTA*: the next generation motherboard(s), i.e. electronics
> > * OpenPhonux: the future "independent mobile handheld" project
> >     aiming at complete devices (i.e. GTA04 + case + components)
> >
> > Currently, we run the domains www.gta04.org and
> > www.openphoenux.org. The Openphoenux.org home
> > page will be made more prominent and content rich soon.
> >

> This was a really informative post - thanks!  But how are you going to spell
> the new baby's name?  I see Phoenux, Phoneux, and Phonux all within a few
> lines.

Ah, there have been typos... Sorry.

The name is derived from:

Open-Phoen(ix)-(Lin)ux

I.e. a contraction of
* Open
* Phoenix (the bird of dreams raising from ashes)
* Linux

> If we were voting, I'd go for OpenPhonux, because it's roughly equal parts
> Phone, Phoenix and Linux which seems about right.
>
> Also, importantly I think, if you heard it spoken you'd probably be able to
> guess correctly how it's spelled, which helps with googling and word-of-mouth
> publicity.  And it has the sound "phone" in it which helps tell people what
> it is ("Phoenux" doesn't, at least in English).  And "Phoneux" looks as if it
> should be pronounced in French (or is that just me ...).

That is indeed difficult fur us all who don't have english as mother-tongue...

Linux is pronounced in english as "Line-ugs" (/ˈlɪnəks/  [1]). I.e. it should
be "phon-ugs".

> But of course it's the parents who should name the baby, and I'm really only
> a bystander, though soon-to-be GTA04 owner ...
>
> Nick Sheppard

Nikolaus

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux