On Thu 20 February 2014 15:27:33 Neal H. Walfield wrote:
> Why do you think the only use for a mobile phone is to make calls?  If
> I only make a data connection and am careful to tunnel all of my data
> via Tor, then this identification method is useful.
>
> Neal

Err, right. For that usecase it might work - until you do *anything* that
gives away your ID, which is even more easy in internet than in a GSM call
(think searching for 2 or 3 topics on google which are specific to you. Or
visiting 2 or 3 specific websites, maybe even in a certain specific usage
pattern. Obviously you can't use email or anything like that. And google [and
others] might be able to identify you from your typing style and rhythm into
the search term textfield already).

And no, you probably can't use a VPN to have only encrypted data transferred
over the air. I don't think there are any free and open VPN endpoints
available.

/j
(alas the above page got scrapped due to resignation(!!), so here some
supplementary links:)
http://www.nonhtmlmail.org/campaign.html
http://www.georgedillon.com/web/html_email_is_evil_still.shtml
http://www.gerstbach.at/2004/ascii/ (German)