We are using an external NT database that links back to the Active Directory
of one of our domain controllers for the accounts.  There does not appear to
be any issues with the OS becoming overwhelmed, as I do not see any real
change in memory or CPU usage when this issue occurs.  This server processes
around 20,000 - 30,000 emails a day roughly, as there are only about 350 -
400 accounts on it now that I have purged old and inactive accounts.

Now, something new that I noticed earlier this week when the issue occurred
was when I tried to send a test message from my Gmail account, I received
the following returned message.

    x...@domain.com

Technical details of permanent failure:
Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the server for
the recipient domain domain.com by mail.domain.com. [XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX].

The error that the other server returned was:
550 unknown user x...@domain.com

Where, x...@domain.com is my test email account and [XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX] is the
public IP of the server.  As always though, a restart of the server
corrected the issue.

Does anyone have any other suggestions of things to check?

Daniel